Cool Stuff. Cute shops. Talented Designers.
Women Entrepreneurs. Inspired Artists.
Gifted Writers. Creative Crafters. Smart Businesswomen.
All Moms.

Moms on Monday :: Erin Moyer of Progeny Inc.

I love the colors, patterns & styles of the products from Progeny Inc. These aprons could possibly get me in the kitchen - which would be a miracle, really. My husband is the chef in the family. But, these aprons are not just for cooking -- the idea for Mommy's Pockets, from the mind of mompreneur Erin Moyer, came from the desire for more pockets. As a new stay at home mom, she could never carry or find all the items she needed for a little one. And, as they say...necessity is the mother of invention. And after seeing the Wee Pocket line {below}, I have added another item to my ever-growing to-do list :: have a girl! How cute are they?

Here is Erin's story. If you are contemplating starting a business or in the beginning stages - take note! Erin offers so much valuable information for new entrepreneurs.

i know a mom :: I've read the story behind Progeny. Once you had the idea to start making aprons, did it take a long time for it to come to fruition and launch the business?

erin :: From the time that I had the idea to our official launch date of January 1 was about 7 months. It felt like an eternity, but it really was a pretty quick turn time considering I had no experience in the apparel sector (other than as a frequent shopper). I did not even own a sewing machine when we began this process, so I had to quickly learn as much as I could about the apparel industry, how to find fabric, manufacturers, make patterns etc. It was a very steep learning curve, and there just wasn’t a good way to access what I needed through the Internet. I spent hours and hours on the phone making contacts, getting recommendations, referrals and advice. Fortunately, through my research, I made several great contacts in the industry and they really helped steer me in the right direction and navigate the manufacturing portion.

When I had my big idea, in the middle of the night, it was all I could do not to wake everyone in the house – I really felt like I was on to something. I had decided that if I were going to ever move forward with something that it would have to feel right – I would have to have the “light bulb moment,” otherwise, I didn’t want to take the time and resources I knew it would take to start up away from my family. And I felt like this was it…

I was very committed and persistent because I really felt like our products could truly benefit other women and moms out there just like me – and we decided moving forward that that would be the foundation of our company. All of our products would be designed to make things a bit easier for our customers – our aprons are designed to help you not waste so much time looking for lost or misplaced items. Our new line of pre-stained tees and onesies keep you having to change your kids clothes after being outside for 5 minutes or eating lunch – all just fun little tricks to get your through the day.

This has been something I’m proud to put my name behind.

i know a mom :: What was your background/career before you were a mama and business owner?

erin :: My background is in marketing and business/product development, I also completed obtained my MBA a few months before our daughter was born. Leaving my job was a very tough decision for me. I worked for the National Center of one of the most well-known non-profits in the US. I loved the fact that my work made a difference in people’s lives, but I was at a crossroads. I felt like if I were ever going to make that leap, then it was the perfect time. I could take this time after my maternity leave and really focus on what it was that I wanted to do, and at the very least if my big idea never came to me, then I would have spent quality time at home with my daughter.

I knew that I could live with myself if I never found huge success out on my own, but I knew I could never live with myself for not trying. Within a month of putting in my resignation, we had the idea for My Mommy’s Pockets – and the rest is history. Our daughter was about 4 months old when I had the idea for the product line, and she was with me while I interviewed manufacturers, negotiated with sales reps and web designers, searched for fabrics and trims, you name it - it's been priceless.

i know a mom :: Has that helped you with launching Progeny?

erin :: My background has been INTEGRAL with the launch of the company. I've been able to handle my own press and marketing, plus I knew exactly what I was looking for in a website. My emphasis with my MBA was business development and entrepreneurship, so that was also a great foundation. Between my background, education and anal retentiveness/controlling nature, I felt like I was uber-prepared to launch Progeny, however, as any business owner will attest to, there were still lots of things that took me by surprise and/or that I couldn't have planned for - after all you don't know what you don't know.

i know a mom :: Are all of your products handmade?

erin :: They are handmade - not by my hands, but handmade.

i know a mom :: What has been the biggest reward from owning your own business?

erin :: Definitely the freedom. I am there for play dates, doctor's appointments, first words and tea parties. That same freedom that I have during the day sometimes means though that I have to work on the weekends, or that my husband has to come home from his full time job and process orders or watch the baby while I work on new designs or catch up on all of the minutia. There are certainly pros and cons, but overall, the freedom at this point in my life is priceless.

i know a mom :: Do you have any tips or tricks for balancing a business & motherhood?

erin :: I'm far from having it all figured out. I don't think there's ever "balance." Sometimes family gets more, and sometimes work gets more. It's just like marriage really, it's rarely ever 50/50 - most of the time it's 60/40 - someone is always pulling a little more weight at one time or another. And it flip flops back and forth. You just hope that it evens out in the end. It’s the same with business and motherhood. There are times when I feel guilty because I'm spending too much time on the computer or phone, or that I've dragged my daughter to too many meetings. Likewise, sometimes I feel guilty because I've spent too much time away from the office. Guilt is a woman's beast of burden. No matter what the circumstance, she will think she could have ______ (fill in the blank --been a better friend, boss, wife, mother, sister... etc.).

I just try and remember that I can't be all things to all people all of the time, even though I, like most women, would like to be. I don't let myself get too mired down with the stress or guilt of what I did wrong or think I could've done better. I focus on what I’ve done well and I take notes on where I can improve. I remind myself to slow down and enjoy the journey and try and keep in mind that success can be measured in many different ways. As long as my husband feels cherished, my child knows she is loved and I can be proud to stand behind my products and business, then I'm doing the best I can.

i know a mom :: What advice would you give to someone out there who’s considering making the leap?

erin :: Ironically enough, since I got into the industry about a year ago, I have met so many women who, once they found out what I’ve done/started, have said “I had a good idea once, but I didn’t know where to start” or “I’ve always wanted to do something on my own as well but was too scared.” So much so, that I started consulting for some start ups.

I think if you really have a passion around something or feel like you have this amazing idea that could really benefit others, then you owe it to yourself to at least EXPLORE it further.

Do your research! Get on the internet, pick up the phone, call potential competitors, call potential customers, call your friends and get their thoughts. Most importantly make some contacts in the industry that you can count on to help you get acquainted with the lingo and the processes – to help you along your learning curve. In the beginning of any venture, I “Lunch & Learn.” If I make a contact with someone who seems to have a handle on the industry or seems like they want to share their expertise with me, then I take them to lunch and pick their brains.

Have a support system who REALLY supports you. Starting a new business, you will undoubtedly be rejected, get your feelings hurt, have someone tell you your idea isn’t that great, have manufacturing set backs. You will have nay-sayers, make sure your friends and family aren’t some of them. You need to have people who will help keep you focused and enthusiastic about your ideas.

Go big or go home. It sounds cliché I know, but if you are not committed to it, then don’t waste your time. It’s hard work and you really have to be invested. A great rule of thumb is that starting any business will take 3 times as much time AND 3 times as much money as you anticipated – and it really is true, I have seen it time and time again. If you aren’t willing to put in the time to do it right, then it most likely won’t turn out the way you hope.

Don’t be scared to take a calculated risk, it can really be so rewarding. Just do your research, build your plan and be willing to make adjustments as necessary.

i know a mom :: What has been your biggest challenge?

erin :: I’m used to working in/for a large a company, with lots of support and shared duties, responsibilities. Starting off, we were doing everything from research, writing content for the website, to taking the pictures, to designing aprons, sending out letters to the press, accounting – you name it. I joked with friends and family that my business card should read CEO and Intern because I was doing all of it- down to the tiniest detail.

It was a huge challenge to switch hats all the time because of course your tendency is to want to spend the most time on the jobs you feel most comfortable in, but they all have to get done. It felt like the moment I really started making progress on some of my marketing materials, I would have to stop everything to handle a manufacturing issue.

Being a one-woman show was exhausting, but at least it was something I enjoyed doing and the experience has been invaluable because I now know every facet of the business intimately.

See? You might want to go back and read it again. Or print it out! Valuable information. Thanks Erin!

DISCOUNT :: Progeny Inc. is offering a 10% discount on your entire purchase. (code: IKAM0808) You need to act quickly - the discount expires September 1, 2008.

No comments: